Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tis (almost) the season

I can’t believe how quickly fall has flown by.

It seems not that long ago that we were enjoying a fairly nice summer – as summers go in this part of the world. Unlike usual years, we avoided the perennial problem of overcast weekdays and wet weekends. I live in a valley at the juncture of two major rivers, within a 90-minute drive of a major seaway. As a result, this creates some very interesting weather patterns. It can make for some pretty spectacular storms that are the result of a roiling mix of high and low pressure areas that bring, you guessed it, humidity and rain. Yuck.

The brilliantly hued leaves have long since fallen from the trees and we’re staring down the barrel of winter. Here, too, we’ve been fortunate. The days have been relatively mild, though the nights are bitterly cold and we’re getting some heavy frost. Flurries can’t be far behind.

I can’t avoid it any longer – on Thursday, I’m getting the snow tires put on the car. There’s the true sign of winter’s arrival. :lol Well, that and the transformation of the stores and malls, which look like Santa’s sack exploded, hitting everything in sight with the fallout of red tinsel, gold foil stars and green spruce boughs.

I went to the mall on Saturday to buy Son No. 1 some new running shoes and barely made it out with my sanity intact. St. Nick’s avatar was ensconced on his throne, listening to the hopes and dreams of little girls and boys dressed in their holiday best smiling for the cameras, or not. Shoppers thronged the long corridors, making it a trifle difficult to navigate the crush with my own brood of four in tow. It made me realize I’d better get my behind in gear to finish up my holiday shopping soon, because I despise dealing with crowds. For all the supposed happiness of the season, people can get downright nasty as they barrel down the aisles and queue at the cash register.

In this, I am an antisocial Grinch. :D

Still, my heathen heart always swells to three times its size at this time of year. For all the crowds and craziness, I love what Christmas means to me: family and togetherness.

So I’ll get the snow tires put on the car and anticipate the sight of my little ones – most of whom aren’t all that little anymore – delving into their stockings on Christmas morning.

No comments: