Saturday, October 8, 2011

How I write

Whether one is an experienced writer or an old hand, I think we all love to discuss craft – brainstorming, plotting, research, even the day-to-day nuts and bolts of stringing words together on a page.

One of the most hotly discussed methods is pantser versus plotter. Do you wing it, just start typing and see where the characters or story bring you? Or do you plot with all the skill of a master cartographer the map of your characters’ journey through their adventure.

I know writers who just wing it, and come up with the most captivating stories. It boggles the mind. I also know writers who religiously plot the action, write up full character bios, create timelines … that, too, boggles the mind.

I am firmly on the fence. :lol

Sorry, but it’s true! I use elements of both when I’m writing. All of my stories begin with what-if, usually involving a scenario or character. For example, drawing from Three Wishes, what if an office worker with a secret crush has the chance for her dreams to come true in a very unexpected way? From there, I know how the story begins and how it ends. I know some major points in between, which I sometimes type out as bullet points, and that’s about it. I’m ready to begin writing. Once that starts, I can flesh out the characters as I go, add to the plot points, maybe add more conflict if it needs it.

That said, I do a lot of internal writing, if you will. I think about a scene, working it out in my mind, to the point where by the time I turn to my computer, it usually writes itself. My books, so far, have all ended the way I intended, no major surprises for me there.

I often think being a plotter would be far easier. I do sometimes get stumped about what to do next. A great plotter would know exactly what happens next, no hesitation. Sadly, I can’t seem to plot.

Oh, I’ve tried. When I do, I angst over the plotting, get stalled, and it just produces frustration. As it stands, if I’m stuck on a scene, I skip it to come back to later, and move on to what I do know happens. Doing that also means getting swept up in less self-editing as I go, though I’m not always as successful at that as I could wish.

Bizarre as it sounds, it seems to work for me.

The most important thing to realize is what works for me may not work for you. You must find the mix that fits best with your own writing, and go with it. Putting word to page is what matters in the end, not how you get there.


All the best,
Raina

No comments: